Tapping or EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) is a form of energy work developed by Gary Craig. The premise is that negative emotions and pain result from a disruption of the energy of the body. By tapping you can restore the balance in the energy of the body.
Tapping focuses on meridian points or energy hot spots in the body like acupuncture/acupressure does. It is a simple process and easy to try yourself without any formal education or coursework.
The basic sequence is below.
- start by identifying the problem you want to work on. This can be something about pain (lower back pain, pain in a sprained ankle, pain from a chronic condition), it can be something that causes anxiety, or the anxiety itself, or it can be a goal you have (to have more confidence, accept yourself, not judge yourself). These are just examples. You can pick anything that you would like to work on.
- Consider the problem and how it makes you feel. GIve that feeling a number on a scale of 0-10 where 10 is the highest. The number can be how much pain, how much anxiety it gives you, how the situation makes you feel/how important it is to you (either my lack of self confidence is a 8/10 for importance for me, or it causes me 6/10 anxiety).
- Next compose a setup statement – acknowledge the problem you want to deal with and follow it with an unconditional affirmation of you as a person such as
- Even though I feel this anxiety, I deeply and completely accept myself
- Even though I am anxious about my interview, I deeply and completely accept myself
- Even though I have this back pain, I deeply and completely accept myself
- Even though I have low self confidence, I deeply and completely accept myself
- Now the tapping begins – use 3-4 fingers of one hand and tap the pinky side of your hand (on the side of the hand, not on the pinky). Repeat the setup statement 3 times aloud while tapping this spot. Take a deep breath.
- The sequence for tapping is below. As you tap each of these points with 2 fingers 5-7 times, you will repeat a simple reminder phrase to mentally focus on your issue – my anxiety, my pain, my financial situation. Go through the entire sequence of these points 3 times.
- Inside of your eyebrow
- Side of your eye
- Under your eye
- Under your nose
- Under you bottom lip by the chin
- Base of the throat by the collarbones
- Under the arm on the side of the body
- Top of the head
- Check back in with how you are feeling about the issue (pain, anxiety, goal). You can go through the process again if you are still above a 5/10 about it.
You can also use tapping for positive thinking or reaffirmations. If you do not have an issue to deal with, you can use positive statements like ‘I have faith in my ability to chang’,’ ‘I am joyful about these positive changes’, ‘I love the person that I am’ ‘
The idea of tapping with positive thinking is that you can change the energy of your body in a positive direction to help achieve the goal.
If you haven’t worked with your tapping before, give it a try and see what you notice.
CERTIFIED ATHLETIC THERAPIST IN AIRDRIE & CALGARY
CERTIFIED STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING SPECIALIST CSCS